Sunday, October 7, 2007

The ABC's of the Happy or Horrible Homemaker:

I got this off my SIL's blog. She did it a few months back, and now since I've got almost six months of honest-to-goodness homemaking under my belt, I thought it woild be a good time for me to do this one. :-)

The ABC's of the Happy or Horrible Homemaker:

Aprons (Y/N): Nope, just means something else to have to clean, I guess it wouldn’t matter now that I clean my hubby’s work aprons

Baking (Favorite thing to bake): I LOVE to bake...any kind of pastry- I love experimenting with new recipes!

Clothesline (Y/N): NO, I don’t even like hanging things to dry, I don’t like the “dimples” left by the hangars or clothespins.

Donuts: Not something I go out of my way for- but if they’re around I’ll have one.

Every Day (One homemaking thing you do every day): I cook dinner at least five times a week, from scratch- and the others are usually reheating something I made earlier in the week, and then have to at least rinse dishes…

Freezer (Do you have a separate deep freeze?): Yes, and I love it! We live in a small town, so it’s nice to have the deep freeze so we can shop in the larger town where things are cheaper. My goal is to eventually only shop once a month.

Garbage Disposal (Y/N): No, and I miss it! But my husband decided since we live in farm community that it would be ideal to have a compost heap so most of our scraps go there.

Handbook (What is your favorite homemaking resource?): MOM...First, and any cookbook or magazine I can get my hands on for new recipes- we try at least one new recipe a week!

Ironing (Love it or hate it?): What’s Ironing??? 

Junk drawer (Y/N) (Where?): Yes, sort of. Right now it’s still in boxes from moving, maybe we’ll try to keep it that way!

Love (What is your favorite part of homemaking?): Cooking- I love trying new recipes, and making up my own- we’ve come up with some really good meals just by mistake! 

Mop (Y/N): The new “swiffer” style mops do make it easier, but still not something I do real regularly.

Nylons: Only in the most formal of situations do I wear them (I even went without them for my wedding- went barefoot!  But I remember hearing stories about my grandmother and aunt getting dressed up, Nylons and all- just to go grocery shopping!!!! I’m thankful I live in the time I do, and not back then.

Oven (Do you use the window or open the door to check?): I try not to open the door, but sometimes you have to do the “toothpick” test to check doneness.

Pizza (What do you put on yours?): I have two favorite pizzas that we make at home, one is our taco pizza (refried beans, hamburger & salsa, and top it with cheese, lettuce and sour cream… MMMM!) and Chicken Alfredo (Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken and fresh spinach).

Quiet (What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?): Just about the only quiet time I get is sleeping. But I am trying to do more Bible Study and pleasure reading lately. I just started the “Redemption” series by Karen Kingsbury

Recipe card box (Y/N): Not a box, but a notebook!  I have a “household planner notebook” that has all my menu planning and a list of recipes I want to try and what book or magazine to find them in.

Style of house: Ranch

Tablecloths and napkins? Nope, again- extra washing I don’t want to do

Under the kitchen sink (Organized or toxic wasteland?): Organized, cleaning stuff, dishwasher gel-pacs and extra sponges on one side, trash bags and grocery bag holder on the other.

Vacuum (How many times per week?): Not that often, if I’m lucky it’s once every two weeks, but its more like once a month, unless absolutely gross.

Wash (How many loads of laundry do you do in a week?): 2-4, sometimes we stretch it to last two weeks, and then I’ll have more It’s actually more economic for us, we have enough clothes to get through two weeks, and then we have full loads, so that’s what are trying to do more.

X’s (Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?): Work, daily lists home are more weekly, except for menus which I am trying to stick to more.

Yard (Who does what?): My husband’s domain- he takes care of the dogs (they are outside dogs) for the most part as well

Zzz’s: Try to get to be by 10p at the latest. Sometimes as early as 8:30p, very rarely it’s after midnight.

No comments: