Saturday, August 11, 2007

No rest for the weary...

This past week was VBS at our church. Our church is small, and because a lot of the parents work all day, we have our VBS at night. Monday through Friday from 6:30 - 8:15p for a week. G & I decided to get involved and chose to teach the 1st & 2nd grade class. It was fun, but tiring, especially since had to work our day jobs too. We had nine kids the first night, and I thought- I can handle this... then Tuesday night we almost doubled to fifteen!! Wednesday we jumped to seventeen, and back down to fifteen on Thursday. Our class was busting at the seams!!! (Literally- we had to take the table and chairs out and just sit on the floor so that we could have any room at all!) On Friday night we have our "program" which consists of each class getting up and sharing a song or Bible verses from the week, so parents can see what we did with their kids all week. It doesn't last a long time, and then we have refreshments- I think we were done by 7:30, and then had to clean up and tear down. But I have been growing increasingly tired over the week, and increasingly moody. And now here it is 4:25 am on Saturday morning, and I am WIDE awake- can't go back to sleep!!! I hate it when that happens- I am so tired I can barely think straight, but am thinking too much to sleep. Sigh... it's going to be along day... and my taterbug's third birthday party is this evening... I hope I get some sleep before then... I can't wait to give her her camera!!! (More on that later)
For now it's back to my laundry, and maybe I'll turn the T.V. on ( I hate to though, afraid I'll disturb my husband-who can sleep through anything...)

Actually we have found out G can't sleep through everything, he woke up to find me not in bed, and couldn't get back to sleep himself... so now we are both watching T.V. at 5:10am... Sorry G

5 comments:

LaughingLaura said...

We do our VBS in the evenings, as well, Sun-Wed. On top of working my regular job, and doing VBS, my mom and sisters were here visiting that week. And if that weren't enough, after VBS we drove out to KS (and then back) for the Bash. Yeah, I totally feel your pain. Lucky for me, though, our 1st-2nd grade class only had five kids - the same five all week. It was awesome b/c they were incredibly well-behaved and didn't cause any trouble. :-D

Sally said...

You sure are dedicated for not having kids participating...I would have blown it off!

Hope you caught up on sleep!

G&K said...

I enjoy teaching, not only for VBS, but a lot times I taught Wednesday night class for first & second graders before I moved, and hope to sometime here too.
And just because I don't have children at this time, that doesn't relieve me of my responsibility to Christ and His church. VBS is only one of the ways I can serve, and teach the children- not only of our congregation but also the community- which in turn will help the church to grow. In fact, one of the children who visited our class during VBS week, was back on Sunday morning with his dad!!! That is encouraging!!!
My service to Christ does not depend on whether I'm married, single, a parent, young or old. My sevice depends on my desire to share the good news about the gift of salvation that Christ has given me, and offered to everyone. Most of the time I am sorely lacking in sharing and serving, and it is things like VBS that can get us encouraged and excited again.

Sally said...

I only meant b/c you've been so busy and tired lately.

G&K said...

G & I had talked about whether we had the energy or the time, and decided that we really wanted to do it. And it was well worth it!!!
We have been really busy lately, but using that as an excuse can be very dangerous and we had been using it quite a bit the last couple of months. We should never be too busy for the Lord, but sadly we are- so we are slowly trying to fix that, by being involved in more activites and functions at church, as well as Bible study. We even had the youth group over for dinner and devotion last Sunday night. We had a blast, and got some spiritual nourishment too! :-)