Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Slow -Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com for a pinch-hit dinner last night. I forgot to plan anything or get anything out of the freezer, so I found this recipe, went home on my lunch break and threw it all in the crock-pot on high (frozen chicken and all), and Voila! Dinner was done when I got home from work! The changes I made to recipe are (included).
It was very yummy!!! :-)

INGREDIENTS
1 pound shredded, cooked chicken (used frozen chicken thighs and then cut into bite-size pieces before serving)
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed (used jared Salsa- about 10- 12 ozs.)
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (used a 7 oz. can)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water (only used 1 1/4 cups)
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf (left out)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (left out)
(Added a 15 1/2 oz can of Navy Beans, drained)
7 corn tortillas (used bagged tortilla chips)
vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup (we served it over cooked brown rice)

2 comments:

Sally said...

you left out the cilantro??? that's the best part!

I always have tortilla chips and sour cream with my tortilla soup...now you have me all hungry for it...i'll have to make it when i get back from CA.

G&K said...

I'm not a big fan of cilantro, but if i'd had some I would have probably put a little in. I think I've had too many dishes where the cilantro was way to much, and it killed my taste for it. I won't even eat salsa if I can taste too much cilantro in it.
But it was still good! :-)
Have fun in CA- am looking forward to seeing your post after your trip ;-)